OverviewIdentification of gifted and talented students in the Lighthouse Academies of Arkansas is an ongoing process extending from grades K-12, serving at least 5% of the student population. Written identification and placement procedures for the GT program are available to all stakeholders (LHA GT handbook, 2016). Once a student has been referred, data is collected in a non-discriminatory manner. Multiple criteria are used to determine placement. Placement is made by at least a five member committee consisting of, but not limited to, a G/T Specialist, a counselor, classroom teachers, and the Director of Gifted/AP Programs. Identification procedures are uniformly implemented across the district. Gifted and talented student records remain on file for five (5) years post graduation.
Program DescriptionGrades K-2: Whole Group Enrichment Program The G/T Teacher designs whole group enrichment lessons emphasizing creativity, problem solving, logic, and critical/reflective thinking. All K-2 students receive enrichment lessons provided by the G/T Specialist. Grades 3-6: Pull Out Program Students are pulled-out of the elective class-room for one hour 2 times a week and 30 minutes on Fridays. Students are not required to make up work missed while attending their G/T class. At this level, the gifted and talented teacher aims to enrich or extend the curriculum taught in the regular classroom. Content may be accelerated or enriched using basic or more complex curriculum for gifted students.
- Critical Thinking Skills: analysis, synthesis, evaluation, logical reasoning, inference, problem-solving, interpretation, and decision making
- Creative Thinking Skills: flexibility, originality, elaboration, curiosity, imagination, and risk-taking
- Independent and Group Investigation Skills: questioning, listening, information gathering, organiza-tion, and product development
- Personal Growth Skills: self-concept, interpersonal relations, coping with failure, communication, and personal decision making
- Identifying and establishing priorities
- Scheduling time
- Interacting with teachers
- Study skills
Jenifer Chapman, GT Teacher Pine Bluff Campus
Melanie Maupin, GT Coordinator Jacksonville Main Campus/Capital City Campus
Jackie Clark, GT Teacher Flightline Campus